Up until age 3, your child’s skin is delicate and immature: it has few defences against harsh elements (cold, wind, sun, dry air, etc.), it’s easily irritated, and it’s sometimes prone to red blotches. But your baby’s skin is also rich in a unique and valuable cell potential that is vital to protect. So you need to give it very special care and use appropriate products.
In order to preserve it, Mustela Bébé reinvented its products with new, increasingly natural formula enriched with a new exclusive active ingredient: Avocado perseose®. This patented active ingredient with biomimetic properties aids the development of the skin barrier, protecting the cellular wealth of your baby’s skin, today and for tomorrow.
In this article Mustela provides advice for ensuring your baby’s skin remains soft, flexible and comfortable day after day and this essential daily routine also becomes a real moment of shared enjoyment between you and your baby!
- Always choose skin care products that are specially formulated for a baby’s skin. They should be hypoallergenic and tested under the supervision of dermatologists and paediatricians. Avoid questionable ingredients like paraben, phthalates, phenoxyethanol, etc.
- For bath time, use soap-free hygiene products like Mustela Dermo-cleansing, specially made for your baby’s delicate skin.
- Every two to three days, wash your baby’s hair and scalp with an appropriate shampoo that won’t sting eyes. If your baby has cradle cap, choose a special infant shampoo that will help you get rid of it like Mustela Newborn Foam Shampoo. To rinse hair, use a glass, toy watering can, the shower head or simply the hollow of your hand.
- After the daily bath, carefully moisturise your baby’s entire body and face using a specially adapted moisturising cream or body lotion like Mustela Hydra Bebe Body Lotion on normal skin, or a fragrance-free emollient cream, like Stelatopia Emollient Cream, with replenishing properties on a very dry skin with atopic tendencies.
- Take this opportunity to briefly massage your baby: gently massage the baby’s entire body with your moisturising product until it has fully been absorbed by the skin, or use a massage oil specially designed for babies. Not only is massage very effective for relaxing your baby as preparation for sleep, it’s also a wonderful opportunity to bond with your child.
- Remember to check the area behind your baby’s ears on a regular basis. This area is often overlooked, but it’s prone to rashes and dryness.
- For your baby’s lips and exposed sensitive areas, use a moisturising stick.
- In the nappy area: carefully clean your baby’s bottom each time you change their nappy, especially in the skin folds where wetness can lead to irritation. You can use special baby wipes, a no-rinse cleanser or a cleansing lotion. Gently dry your baby’s skin before putting on his nappy. Don’t forget to apply a nappy barrier cream at each change, like Vitamin Barrier Cream 1>2>3, to prevent nappy skin discomfort.
Always use products as directed. If you have concerns about caring for your baby’s skin, consult your doctor or speak to your local Chemmart Pharmacist.
This is a sponsored article from Mustela.